We are shipping WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1 Beta today, just in time for PDC 2010. The release addresses some of the key feature asks we have received from the developer community after the successful WCF RIA 1.0 release. You can download WCF RIA Services at http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/riaservices/.
Enhancements in the WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1 Beta product itself include:
- Shared entities. Several domain services can now use the same entity type.
- Complex objects. WCF RIA now supports structural non-entity types. Read more at Mathew Charles’s blog.
- ICollectionViewFactory support. Read more at Kyle McClellan’s blog.
- Client code generation extensibility point. It allows customization of the process of generating client side code artifacts for a domain service.
- The product is now localized in 10 languages.
The product release is accompanied by the WCF RIA Services Toolkit October 2010, with an early preview of a few exciting features:
- Domain Service support for Windows Azure Table Storage. When hosting WCF RIA Services in Windows Azure, you can now easily leverage Windows Azure Table Storage as your data backend. Read more at Kyle McClellan’s blog.
- T4 template based client code generation. The feature leverages the code generation extensibility point added to the product and provides a well factored and granular mechanism to customize client code generation logic using T4 templates. Read more at Varun Puranik’s blog.
For a more behind the scenes/director commentary perspective on SP1, check out Dinesh Kulkarni’s blog (fresh from the oven).